Before applying any texture to the chest, the mesh needed to be flattened into a series of two dimensional shapes, taking care to not have any polygons out of portion (otherwise the texture will become either blurry or stretched), using the planar projection technique.
When unwrapping breaks were inserted to avoid having the texture stretched, such in the example below, wherein the green highlight indicates where the mesh has been broken. This is done because the highlighted polygons, whilst flattened on the axis, would have been squashed and distorted if the mesh had not been broken.
After breaking the edges in the corners, I was able to relax the mesh and flatten it out into an accurate representation of the chest faces.
Before (with “squished” faces) and after.
The unwrapped meshes will then correspond to the faces selected on the model. Success!
In cases where the texture will be the same on both sides, both corresponding meshes are flattened on top of each other. This is useful for when I need to avoid creating the same texture twice, when it will just be the same. When the two meshes occupy the same space on a UV map, they will also occupy the same texture. Although a bit tedious, the vertices of the second mesh were attached to the first one in order to ensure they both correlate exactly. In the example below, although only “one” mesh has been selected (though, in reality there’s two directly on top of each other), both areas are shown to be selected on the chest.
Unfortunately at some point into unwrapping the chest I realised that I had distorted an area on the lid’s rim. I didn’t feel particularly like going back to one of my earlier saves and repeating the unwrapping process all over again (that’s theoretically almost two hours wasted) so I simply collapsed the modifier list and reverted to the editable polygon mode.
It’s unlikely that this model going to be absolutely perfect now that I’ve encountered this error, but there’s nothing much I can do. Time to keep progressing!
Aside from a few hiccups in the beginning, the growth of the UV mapping progress became quite easy after practice – it makes up for in simplicity what it consumes in time. The overlapping process done prior also allowed the space to be used more efficiently within the UV space.
Exported UV space, rendered into a 2048 x 2048 PNG file.
The UV space, now converted into two-dimensional image plane, will be used as a layout for the texture files – discussed in the next section of the production pipeline.